Monday, November 10, 2008

Obama versus Tupac

I just got back from vacation. I went to Los Angeles and San Francisco to take a break from the rain in Seattle. I am now wishing I had had the foresight to go to Chicago instead to witness Obama's victory speech in person. Below is the part of Obama’s victory speech that I like most, but before you play it consider an excerpt the lyrics to 2PAC’s song Changes:

Come on come on
I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself is life worth living should I blast myself?
I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch

Now in contrast consider the words of Barak Obama:

That's the true genius of America: that America can change. Our union can be perfected. What we've already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow ...


... Thank you. God bless you. And may God bless the United States of America.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, April 28, 2009, Anonymous Buffy said...

In the same song, released 1995-96, he also says "I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races We under I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right 'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh." I wonder how he would feel to know that 12 to 13 years after he sang this we elected a black president?? and truly... lets try to look at what changes hhave actually copme about in those few years because in the big picture 13 years isn't that long. Just a thought.. I know you are a person who can think deeply... and I am actually saddened that despite the true distance of our relationship, I would never think you a man to know tupac lyrics or even look them up. My Bad. Maybe we can get to know one another a little better.

 
At 4:18 PM, April 29, 2010, Blogger Randy Stimpson said...

Rest in peace Buffy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home